Protecting student privacy is a critical element of education and it will be important to understand the federal laws that surround educational records. There are specific requirements surrounding the protection of confidential student information. This PSE 101 module focuses on understanding confidentiality and helps participants identify the laws the protect student educational records, identify requirements that afford parents the opportunity to examine records, and discusses a school's responsibility to protect confidentiality.
- Identify the federal law that protects a student’s educational records
- Identify the requirements that afford parents the opportunity to examine records
- Identify the requirements that ensure protection of the confidentiality of any personally identifiable information in regards to the collection, use, storage, disclosure, retention, and destruction of that information.
- Jennifer Barnes, M.A., Education Program Specialist, Office of Early Learning and School Readiness
- Yvonne Wooten, M.Ed., Education Program Specialist, Office of Early Learning and School Readiness
Estimated Time to Complete: 1 hour
This module has received the Ohio Approved (OA) designation.
Locked Pre-Assessment Locked Confidentiality Locked Post-Assessment Locked Survey